Become a Volunteer
HOPE worldwide Kenya (HWWK) recognizes and values the contribution made by volunteers since our registration in 1999, to the official launch of programs in 2003 and onwards. We are a member and currently hold the deputy chairperson’s position in the Volunteer Involving Organizations (VIO) network society. We provide opportunities for volunteer engagement towards national development. Volunteers have added great value and have provided priceless input and contribution to HWWK programs and beneficiaries from inception. They have learned from us and we have learned from them. They are an integral part of what we do.
HWWK volunteers have served in various roles, including raising awareness, providing technical input and support, and provision of services to our clients in the community, and participating in our day to day operations. Over 140 committed volunteers contributed over 200,000 volunteer hours annually, especially from local volunteers.
Benefits of Being a Volunteer
In addition to the personal satisfaction from volunteering, there are many other benefits from volunteering;
- Gaining knowledge and skills (professional growth)
- Personal satisfaction and growth (helping others and making new friends)
- Family interaction and involvement, and
- Community involvement (learning about and helping your community)
Volunteer Training is provided to new volunteers depending on their role and location in Kenya. We ensure that they are equipped to provide services directly to the communities. This includes an orientation, basic HIV/AIDS information, boundaries workshop, working with vulnerable groups, and other sessions as required or requested. We recruit and place volunteers at different times every year.
Time Commitment: Volunteering at HOPE worldwide Kenya requires a minimum time commitment of 3 to 6 months for local volunteers and from 3 months to one year for international volunteers. There may be exceptions based on the skill set of the volunteer but there are no volunteer opportunities for less than one month. This is related to the time and resources needed for orientation, and the time needed to provide meaningful service.
- Most of our local volunteer placements depend on the program site location and volunteers are recruited within the community currently served by a specific program. When completing your volunteer application, please complete the section on location and program preferred and we will liaise with the local program manager in that area. This does not apply to international volunteers.
- We have programs running at different locations throughout the country within our four pillars of HOPE.
- It is important to note that related to the nature of our funding we are unable to provide any kind of monetary incentives, i.e. transport, lunch, stipend or others. The volunteer must be self-sustaining and able to cater for any costs related to the terms of service.
Services offered by volunteers
- Health services provision, especially HIV care and treatment, Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) services such as screening and treatment of STIs, cervical cancer screening, family planning, etc
- Facilitators to support various health related trainings
- Mentoring youth, caregivers of orphaned and vulnerable children, People Living with HIV (PLHIV) support groups to implement their projects effectively
- Group formation and structure of management
- Providing help and advice to marginalized communities, youth, and women in their efforts to generate income to improve their quality of life
- Entrepreneurship and business skills training
- Training in financial literacy
- Teaching vocational and life skills; Fashion and design, hairdressing, computer application skills training, soap and candle making, business skills, and others
- Providing psychosocial support, education and vocational training
- Early childhood development training
- Business and marketing skills to scale up HWWK social enterprise to a profitable venture.
- Create employment to youth.
Helping others is an enriching and rewarding experience. If you are ready to apply to become a volunteer at HOPE worldwide Kenya, please fill in our on-line application below:
Volunteer applicants are asked to seriously consider their availability and willingness to commit prior to applying.
To apply, please send your CV and application letter to;
Human Resource Officer
P.O. Box 11775-00100
Red Hill Road off Limuru Road, near Gacharage High School
Kenya Nairobi, Kenya.
Tel: +254-20-3522 384/549
Mobile: +254 725 990 993